Monday, September 17, 2007

World's Shortest Fairytale

Minding my own business this morning over a cup of coffee, my phone began to ring at the unearthly hour of 8:30. Anyone who knows me well knows not to call me, unless it's a work day, until after 10 or they find themselves speaking with the only known human Chupacabra. So I rolled my eyes thinking that it was probably a salesperson pitching penis enlargement pumps or telling me that I have a relative in Nigeria who just died and they needed money to release the estate.

I was thinking up snarky comebacks as I fumbled for my phone, but as soon as I looked at the caller ID, I experienced an irritation of a whole different kind. The kind of irritation that churns the pit of my stomach so furiously that I'm pretty sure I've swallowed an entire beehive and they're all dancing the tango down there.

It was Lawyer's office number.

I stared at the phone with total terror, since he's often the bearer of bad news, and raced through the potential disasters I could possibly be facing. My conference isn't until the end of the month and things are relatively quiet until then (at which time I fully expect Ex to spend an hour screaming at me, and that's great since it only costs an arm and a leg to do so, while picking up the phone would be a much more cost-effective route. Oh, my mistake. Picking up the phone might require balls.). I have a court date in October, and other than that, I couldn't think of anything that could be on the immediate horizon.

I finally picked up the phone to hear one of Lawyer's assistants asking me if I was going out of town in November.

"I don't have any plans at the moment, why?" I asked her.

"We're scheduling your trial date during that month and Lawyer wanted to ensure you're in town," she said.

I hesitated for a few seconds. Could it be? Is it true? Could the final nail destined for the doomed wedding coffin be almost within my reach? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel that doesn't happen to belong to a freight train?

"Uh, you mean, like, the final trial? As in the I'm-going-to-be-divorced-after-this-is-over trial? As in I might be free by the end of 2007?" I stammered, glee hovering just beneath the surface.

"Yes, that's the one," she laughed. "I'm glad you're having this reaction. Sometimes when I call clients to schedule trial dates, they cry and freak out on me."

"Oh, no, not this client! I'm going to run outside and do naked back flips down the street to celebrate!"

We said our goodbyes and hung up, and I looked at the phone as if it were a genie who had just popped out of a bottle and given me three wishes. Though it's still a couple months away, I was left with a lingering feeling of freedom already. I haven't felt this light since I dated the sociopath and weighed double digits for the first time since 6th grade. I already feel like a single person again! Premature, yes, but I don't give a rat's ass. It's the best feeling I've had since this whole mess started over a year ago.

I posted this in the comments section of Lemon Gloria the other day, so forgive me if you've already read it, but it's just so appropriate. My sister Carla sent me an email a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty much my theme story now.

"Sent: August 31, 2007 8:50 AM
Subject: World's Shortest Fairytale

Almost, couldn't help but think of you when I read this.

XOXO,
Carla

Once upon a time, a girl asked a guy, 'Will you marry me?'
The guy said, 'No,' and the girl lived happily ever after and
went shopping, drank martinis with friends, always had a clean house,
never had to cook, had a closet full of shoes and handbags,
stayed skinny, and was never farted on.

The End "

Update: Sorry about the technical difficulty if you saw the accidental post. ;)

8 comments:

Barmaid Blog said...

Great, now I'm picturing your public naked backflips. This is not helping me focus on my boyfriend! ;-)

Finally Free said...

LMAO!! They were very discreet public naked backflips, I swear!

Lemon Gloria said...

Oh my god! Yayayayay! This is amazing news! I'm delighted for you! And your naked flips down the street are perfect for now! November will be too cold.

Sarah said...

I'm stealing that.

I initially read this and saw naked flip flops...and of course the idea of you running down the street naked, in flip flops was just as funny.

Finally Free said...

Thanks, Lis, and yes, it was a beautiful day for naked backflips yesterday. Although don't think I won't be doing them in the snow when I'm finally divorced! ;)

Sarah, LOLOL! Naked flip flops! I love it! (But are the Louboutin flip flops?)

Double D's Daughter said...

When its all said and done I think we should have a bottle of red wine and do naked back flips across the court house parking lot! I have special ordered a 70 degree day for your final court date....lets hope mother nature can deliver!....Love ya! Lauren

Finally Free said...

Lauren, I'm holding you to that! Naked back flips and wine... Lawyer will certainly find that entertaining! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would Love that!!!! YES YES YES

-Kel