Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hold On, I'm Opening a Bottle of Wine....

In late November, Ex emailed me and asked me to meet with him so that we could come to a resolution in this divorce without going to trial. I agreed, albeit hesitantly, to get together in public. I wasn’t sure if he was going to abduct me and lynch me or if he might just shoot me in plain sight. Or perhaps he’d gotten a girlfriend, was over me, and would be rational (please, God!). I’m not sure to this day that it was any of the above.

The meeting took place on a late Sunday morning (with my long bangs firmly in place over my left eye to hide my injuries) in a well-known restaurant in my city and it began with chit chat about what was happening in our respective lives. Initially, I was puzzled with regards to the nature of the conversation because it was as surreal as chatting about the weather with Osama Bin Laden. I wanted to spend about as much time with him as I would with Charles Manson, so I wasn't interested in Britney Spear’s latest meltdown and whether or not Suri is actually a product of L. Ron Hubbard’s frozen sperm. I felt like I had just fallen down the rabbit hole. Or taken a hit of LSD (which I've never done, by the way, but I can only imagine after watching one of my distant cousins take it and then roll around on the asphalt in front of a gas station pump screaming, "I'm a bear! I'm a bear! Grrrrrrrr!").

Finally, nearing the end of the brunch, he handed me a piece of paper and said, “This is my offer.”

After looking it over, I said, “I’ll have to talk to Lawyer about this, of course, and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.”

He agreed. Then he said, “Oh, and by the way, I have 12 bottles of wine from the wine cellar for you in my car. I want to give those to you before we go.”

Conveniently, half of the wine in the wine cellar was left off of the settlement offer. I was already feeling suspicious of the genial way he presented himself, so this just served to increase my suspicions tenfold. After all of the nutty behavior, believing that he was actually a logical person was as difficult for me as believing that Xenu actually flew DC-10s filled with aliens here 10 billion years ago. I wondered, was he trying to bribe me with a case of wine, and if so, did he actually believe that would work? Sure, I love good wine, but I’d rather go a lifetime without Opus One than let myself get screwed over in the divorce as I already had in the marriage. Or was he really being genuine, truly desiring a friendly resolution? The fact that the settlement offer was lacking, to put it mildly, gave me the impetus to lean toward the former, but I still haven’t quite made an assessment on that one.

Lawyer and I haven’t had much time together lately, partially due to my genius self-inflicted facial injury and traumatic brain injury, and partially due to his busy schedule, but I did finally get together with him in early January. I gave him the paper that Ex had given me.

“Well, we agree on certain things, but absolutely not on others,” he said.

We were out to dinner with his cousin and Anastasia, so I said, “Let’s get together later and really go over this to come up with a response.” He agreed.

Needless to say, the catch up game I’ve been playing since I f*cked up my face and brain in October has been more brutal than swimming the English Channel in a g-string and bedazzled pasties in February, so we hadn't gotten together yet.

A few days ago, I called Newscaster Cousin. I hadn’t spoken to him since my injury, which is unusual because we typically talk or see each other at least once a week, and he was initially pissed that I had gone into hiding. After I ran the gauntlet with him, metaphorically flogged myself repeatedly, did my penance, explained what had happened to me, and gained forgiveness, he began to disclose.

“Almost, Ex called me three weeks ago. He wants me to vote for him for some award that he’s up for and then he asked me if he could take me and my boyfriend to dinner.”

“You said no, didn’t you?” I asked, aghast.

“Of course I said no. I was pissed at you, but I’m still loyal to you. Even though you’re a bitch. And why in hell didn’t you call me when you injured yourself? I would have been there in a second,” he growled.

“Wait, let’s get back to the subject. Ex asked you and your boyfriend out to dinner? And by the way, you’re never this much of an a**hole on the air.”

He laughed. “I can’t be an a**hole on the air, but I can be to my beloved cousin who doesn’t call me for three months. Anyway, yeah, I think Ex is trying to get custody of me in the divorce. And plus he told me that you’re going to trial. I thought that trial was only for, like, the Heather Mills/Paul McCartney kind of divorce. What’s going on?”

I was silent. Blown away. He thought we were going to trial? It had only been a month and a half since we’d discussed settlement! Granted, he didn’t know that I almost either killed or permanently disfigured myself, but still, I thought he’d be more generous with the time factor.

“Uh, I don’t know,” I answered Cousin. “I have to call Lawyer and deal with this right this second, I suppose.”

“Yeah, you do, because Ex is a freak and he’s nuts.”

I hung up with Cousin and immediately called Lawyer, telling him what happened. He said, “My week is totally jammed, but how about a dinner on Monday night?”

I sent Ex an email, letting him know that he’d receive our response today, to which he replied that he has been preparing for trial and will continue to do so. I rolled my eyes because I know that he hasn’t even spoken to his lawyer in months, so that statement is about as true as if I were to assert that I’d just grown a third breast.

My meeting with Lawyer last night went just as I thought. We laughed, caught up, and finally went over our business, coming up with the same proposal that we had set forth months ago when we had a settlement conference with Ex and his attorney. We laughed about the total lack of progress in the case, but then Lawyer became serious.

“Almost, Ex would be a fool not to take this offer,” he said. “You’ll get a lot more if we go to trial.”

“I don’t want to go to trial and I don’t want more, you know that. The depositions, the witness stand…. all of that stuff makes me more nervous than a virgin in a supermax prison.”

He laughed. “Yeah, but don’t worry, I’m ready, and you really won’t have to do that much. And you know what? If they want to be fools, f*ck it, I’ll tear them apart in court.”

Trial is set for the end of February and Ex has a week to respond to our offer. Perhaps his response will answer the questions with which I was left after I met him alone to discuss settling this mess. If he accepts the offer or is willing to discuss it out of court, maybe he really has become somewhat rational. If he rejects it and we go to trial, I’ll know that he tried to bribe me with a case of wine and a friendly façade.

I think I’ll open a bottle of that Opus One tonight. I have a feeling that I’ll be sworn to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth in a matter of weeks.

10 comments:

Lara said...

I'm de-lurking to ask:
Sorry to even say this, but you don't think there's any chance that he would have tampered with the wine, do you? I mean, there's no record (since it wasn't in the paperwork) that he's the one that gave it to you (other than this blog, which doesn't identify him). I'm just saying...might be better to buy your own wine for the time being. He doesn't sound exactly, um, predictable.

Lemon Gloria said...

Wow. Well, hmm. Since he is batshit crazy, it does seem like odds are good that you will wind up in court. Which would be so incredibly stupid of him. Here's hoping that he'll take your offer, let go of you, and we can do naked backflips down the street. Even though it's winter and really fucking cold!

Sarah said...

i hope he takes your offer too. Although it will mean the end of blogs about ex. which are funny.
sooo hmmm.

i'm torn.

Kidding. SIGN IT EX!

Sara said...

Just got caught back up with the blog and I'm so sorry to hear that Ex remains (albeit predictably) a complete asshole AND that you had such a horrid injury. Hoping things get better on both fronts.

Sarah said...

Wow. While I hope for your sake that he takes the offer and leaves you in peace and harmony without him, the vindictive part of me says take him to court and clean him out.

And be wary of the facade. Don't want him to be able to pull anything out of his sleeves at you!

Again, glad you're all right and he didn't abduct you! Good luck with whatever road you end up going down. Sounds like you win either way, which is as it should be.

MdG said...

I'm thinking that rather than spiking her wine, Ex is going to later use her acceptance of the case of wine as evidence that he "split" the contents of the cellar with Almost.

Seems devious enough, and more his style.

I'm also worried that the awesome stories will dry up once the divorce is final. But I'm comforting myself with the fact that Almost may start dating, and I'm sure there will be tales to tell from those adventures.

Finally Free said...

lara, I didn't read your comment until this morning, and by that time, I'd already had some of the wine. It didn't even occur to me!! But I seem to be ok, so I don't think he did anything, but your comment is so right on! That would be so him!

Lis, start planning your trip... naked backflips in -20 degree weather coming right up, LOL!

SD, no, there are many many more stories to tell about Ex, and even when I'm through with those, I won't stop blogging. I feel sure that there are even more adventures to come. ;)

blonde, thank you. You're sweet. :)

sarah, you're right, I do need to be wary, which is something not usually in my nature. And thanks for the good luck wishes!

mdg, OMG, you are so right about the "split" part! I'd bet anything that he'll pull that one out in court! And don't worry, the stories won't dry up.... this divorce has been going on for awhile. Who's to say that I'm not already secretly dating? ;) Hmmmm.....

Double D's Daughter said...

Unbelievable! He really needs to get a grasp on reality! and I hope "Cousin" does vote for him and support him because I nominated him for Asshat of the year! God knows he deserves it!

Lemon Gloria said...

Hahaha! I second the nomination for Asshat of the Year!

Finally Free said...

DD and Lisa, LMFAO!!! Can I chair the committee? Because I accept your nominations!