Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Not as Easy as Everyone Thinks

I was at work in November, just getting back into the swing of things, when my closest coworker said something to me that left me as surprised as if neon monkeys had just flown out of her ass. I overheard her saying something to a nurse about how Dr. X had gotten a divorce in 3 months after a 20-something year marriage and had subsequently moved downtown. I interrupted her to ask what she was talking about.

“Almost, I know you’ve been gone for awhile,” she said, “but yes, Dr. X got a divorce in 3 months and moved downtown immediately. How come you can’t get divorced that fast?”

I felt like someone had just whacked me upside the head with a smoked meatstick, I was so flabbergasted. How could he, with a two-decades-long marriage and children, get divorced so quickly while I was mired in lawyer’s fees, text messages, and middle of the night phone calls?

As a little background, I work with Dr. X only on rare occasions. We’re on the same floor, we’re generally in the same line of medicine, and I pass him often in the hall, but his program is separate so we don’t really interact too much except to exchange pleasantries or talk about a particular patient that we share. I wanted to find out how he’d gotten divorced faster than Superman could catch a speeding bullet, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dr. X and I didn’t want to overstep my bounds. After all, I am all too aware of the sensitive nature of these issues and I wasn’t sure of the circumstances that contributed to the demise to his marriage.

However, I also knew that he and Plastic Surgeon have been friends for years and share a great mutual respect. They’re very much alike. Both are literally world-renowned in their fields, brilliant, and innovators, but they also have great personalities and love to have a good time, i.e., put down more vodka than Jeff Conaway and raise some hell. Fun hell! FYI, some super-smarties have the social skills of a Q-tip. These two break the mold.

Of course, the first person I called when I returned home that evening was Plastic Surgeon. They work in separate parts of the hospital, so I wasn’t sure if she’d heard the news.

“PS, did you know that Dr. X got a divorce and has already moved downtown?”

“WHAT?!” she exclaimed. “No, I didn’t know that. It’ll be fabulous to hang out with him downtown now! When are we taking him out? How in the world did he get divorced so fast, and why can’t you do the same?”

Again, I had my own Casper of a question haunting me, but I just couldn’t bring myself to go into Dr. X’s office, slap him on the shoulder in camaraderie and say, “Hey, heard your marriage broke up and you’re my neighbor now! So tell me, what’s the secret to getting unhitched so quickly?”

Yesterday, though, I finally ratcheted up the courage. I was on my way to a lunch meeting when I walked by his office and saw him alone. I passed, but quickly turned back without even thinking, knocking on the frame of his open door softly.

He looked up. “Oh, hi, Almost!” he said, sliding his reading glasses down his nose. “How have you been? I haven’t seen you in awhile!”

After some small talk, I said, “Hey, I hear we’re neighbors now. I keep looking around when I’m out downtown to see if you’re there, but I haven’t seen you yet. PS wants us all to go out sometime, are you up for it?”

He looked puzzled. “You live downtown?”

“Yes, when my divorce started, I moved. I couldn’t wait to get out of the ‘burbs.”

The look on his face was a mixture of curiosity, confusion, and relief. “I had no idea. I didn’t even know that you were divorced.”

“Not divorced, Dr. X, getting divorced,” I said with a laugh. “It’s a long process for me. You’re lucky you got it over with so quickly.”

“Hah!” he laughed. “Quickly?! I’m in the midst of a sh*tstorm. And the attorney’s fees? Don’t even get me started on that!”

We shared mutual horror stories for a few minutes, which prompted him to proclaim at one point, “They should make it harder to get married than to get divorced. Both parties should have to undergo rigorous psychological testing in order to get married. The divorce should be the easy part.”

So there I had it. He hadn’t gotten divorced as quickly as everyone thought and he admitted a few minutes later that he’s still going through the same hell that I am.

"Almost, there are times that I get back to my place, sit on the couch, and I just feel that I can't even move. I'm just paralyzed." My heart went out to him, because, though I'm past that part, I've really been there.

We chatted for a few minutes, and I said, “Well, PS and I will call you the next time we’re out downtown.”

He responded, “I’d love to join you girls. You don’t know how fun an evening like that would be for me.”

I departed for my meeting and somehow, felt a little bit better. I would never want Dr. X to suffer a protracted divorce as I have, but at the same time, I was comforted by the fact that I didn’t miss some magical “hey, you can get divorced in 3 months, you dumbass,” rule. And if a brilliant, accomplished doctor feels also feels the paralyzing, depressing nature of a divorce, I don't feel as badly about going through the same thing.

I’ve heard quite a few stories about how someone’s gotten divorced in a matter of weeks, but I’m inclined at this point to call bullsh*t. And even if one does get divorced in a matter of months? Perhaps it’s just that much more hell packed into a shorter period of time. But for the time being, I’ll think that it’s a fairy tale quietly and conveniently enclosed in a Mother Hubbard tale.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly tell you that after 10 years of marriage, got divoriced in 30 days. It was both scary and shocking how easy it was.

Sarah said...

wow, well at least you have a new friend to commiserate with. over cocktails.

Anonymous said...

Four weeks. That's all it took. Can you imagine? And we had two children, a home and a five year marriage. The irony in the fact was that my neighbor, who I'm certain my husband was shagging and coincidentally filed for divorce using MY LAWYER, required months upon months for her divorce. Shame for her, although I wish far better for you.

Finally Free said...

Anon and Kiki, you're blowing my theory out of the water, LOL! Congratulations to both of you on fast and clean breaks. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor, Kiki. I feel her pain.

SD, LMAO! We'll see if Dr. X and I commiserate over cocktails. sure would be fun, I just don't want a weird work environment, you know?

Unknown said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, and while I'm sorry you're going through the divorce from hell, I'm glad you're blogging about it!

I'm sure a lot of my readers can commiserate!

Helene
The Modern Woman's Divorce Guide
http://themodernwomansdivorceguide.com/blog

Lemon Gloria said...

Poor guy! Sorry for both of you but I'm glad that at least you have some new, fun company in divorce hell.

Double D's Daughter said...

Oh hun, I got divorced in 4 months but there was nothing to want from him other than out. My heart breaks everytime I know that you are going through a difficult time. I am glad that you and Dr. X can lean on each other a bit. Anyone that comes into your life and makes a hard time a bit easier....is a good thing!

Finally Free said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finally Free said...

Sorry, had to edit that last coment.

Helene, I just visited your site, thanks so much for the link! There's nothing I love more than a smart AND beautiful woman. And one who sets out to help others. Bravo! Your site is amazing!

Lis, I feel so badly for this guy. However, he'll have no problem finding a new woman with whom to cavort. ;) Not me! I didn't mean that, LOL!

Double D's Daughter, thank you for being such a good friend. You're the best, and I really mean that.