Sunday, February 24, 2008

Maybe Finally?

I walked into the deposition last Monday unable to control my trembling hands, despite a thorough set of instructions from Lawyer, assurances that this wouldn’t be too harsh a process for me, and a Valium. The depositions were held at Greasy Attorney’s office and I tried to find amusement at the fact that it looks like something out of the set of Miami Vice, but laughter wasn’t coming easily. I was somewhat comforted by the fact that Ex was going first so I could see what to expect, ignorant of the fact that it was futile since our depositions ended up being conducted very differently.

I kept my hands in my lap during Ex’s 4 ½ hour dep to hide the tremors, initially watching intently, then feeling fidgety because it was lasting longer than church when you have your favorite monthly visitor and you think your tampon is leaking. His dep consisted of Lawyer going through each business’s tax return line by line. It was an unbelievably tedious process, since Ex’s business practices are insanely convoluted. As Lawyer wound his way through the English garden maze of transfers, intra-company loans, and infusions of money out of thin air in an attempt to smoke out whatever place in which he may be hiding assets, I realized that Ex had perjured himself more times than I could count.

After his dep was over, we took a break. Ex went into another room while Lawyer and Greasy Attorney conferred in a different room and I picked up a dictionary from the shelf, beginning to thumb through it. It’s inane, but I like to take a dictionary, close my eyes, stick my finger into a random page and read it. The first page I selected was in the “M,” section. About halfway through, I came upon the words, “marriage,” “marriageable,” and “marriage minded.” I rolled my eyes and picked another page randomly. It was in the “L,” section. A few words down the page, I came across the word, “love.” I sighed and slammed the book shut, opening it again to another section. This time I was in the “C”s. You guessed it, it was the page with “commit,” “commitment,” and “common-law marriage.” Thinking that the book may have been possessed by the Devil himself, I returned it to the shelf and backed away from it just in time for everyone to return.

I began my own deposition scared, but that quickly turned to an irritation similar to that of wearing underwear made from glass shards. Whereas Lawyer showed Ex the utmost respect despite his clear perjury, Ex’s Greasy Attorney didn’t return the favor.

He asked, “You have a house cleaning service?”

“Yes.”

He sneered sarcastically as he leaned across the table. “What, are you too good to clean the floor or scrub a toilet?”

I looked at Lawyer in confusion because I wasn’t expecting to be treated as such. Lawyer wrote me a note under the table that said, “Just be cool. He’s a hack and he knows it.”

I wrote back, "D*CK!!!"

Later, as he was going through my financial disclosure statement, he said, “You listed quite a bit of money for your monthly doctor’s fees. Care to explain that?”

“If I must, I took an aggregate of the last 12 months of doctor’s fees and divided it by 12.”

“And just who are these doctors?” he asked.

“I’m not under any obligation to answer that, since it violates doctor-patient confidentiality, not to mention the fact that Lawyer never asked your client about that. If you insist, though, Dr. G treated me for my fractured calcaneous, Dr. E is my PCP, and I receive care from Dr. [Plastic Surgeon’s name].”

“What kind of medicine does she practice?”

“She’s a plastic surgeon,” I answered, knowing where this line of questioning was going.

“Ohhhh,” he answered, leaning back in his chair with a smirk on his face while he twisted his pencil back and forth. “Well, now, you’ve had plastic surgery?” he asked mockingly.

“Um, Greasy Attorney,” I stated, leaning across the table and coolly looking him directly in the eye, “since you specifically asked for my medical records from her prior to this deposition, I can only assume that you’re trying to trip me up and I don’t appreciate it, nor will I fall for your trickery. And furthermore, of course I’ve had plastic surgery!”

While the court reporter stifled a giggle, his face twisted into a grimace. “Moving on,” he said. “So what are all of these expenses for social clubs and entertainment?”

I listed all of my academic memberships and then told him that I had a once-weekly Girls Night and a once-weekly date with The Doc.

“Now, just what is the nature of your relationship to The Doc?” he said, smirking in self-satisfaction once again.

“Well, not that it’s relevant to these proceedings in the least, but he’s my Main Gay.” The room erupted in laughter. Actually, Lawyer, the court reporter, and I erupted into laughter.

True to what the P.A. had told me, it was 2 hours of him attempting to trick me into perjuring myself, but to no avail because I don’t have any tracks to cover. Finally, it was over and the time to start settlement discussions commenced. It was arduous and escalated into anger at times, but we finally hammered out a basic agreement after 9 (!!) hours and set a date to meet on Saturday to finalize it in order to avoid trial.

This past Saturday I walked into Greasy Attorney’s office, once again expecting Crockett and Tubbs to spring out from behind one of the plastic palm trees. I wasn’t as nervous as Monday, but I was still anticipating a potential break down of talks in light of Ex’s past nutty behaviors.

Talks almost did break down, but we finally came to an agreement. I’m not happy with it. Ex isn’t happy with it. As my Dad always says, though, a good settlement consists of both parties walking away unhappy.

The agreement still needs to be signed and there’s a chance that Ex will have a change of heart and back out, preferring trial, but I have every finger, toe, and internal organ crossed that it won’t happen. Despite my disagreement with much of the settlement, I just want this whole acrimonious, Dante’s Inferno of divorces to be over so that I can move on. If all goes according to plan, I will be officially, well, Free on Wednesday afternoon. No more Almost, but rather, Finally.

12 comments:

mrsmac said...

Glad to hear you got through it. I've been wondering all week! Hoping the settlement comes through for you!

Lemon Gloria said...

Yay yay yay for almost finally! It sounds hugely irritating and stressful but you got through it fine. And you are so close! My everything is crossed hoping for an end to this for you this week, sweetie!

Sarah said...

oh my goodness. this is awesome.

will you be officially changing your name?

heh. not that you changed your last name in the first place.

xoxo!

MdG said...

WOO!!!
I wish I could be as wittty and quick as you under pressure. Even when not under pressure I have no combacks.

I have to say though, a 9 hour divorce depo sounds painfully similar to a 6 hour PTA meeting.

Here's to hoping thant you change from "Almost" to "Finally" by the end of the week.

Finally Free said...

mrsmac, thank you! I'm hoping so, too...

Lis, you're so sweet to cross everything, too! You'll be the first to know about a divorce party... ;)

SD, LOL, yes, I think I'll be officially changing my name... bizarre... I never did it in real life when I got married, but I'm doing it here when I'm getting unmarried.

mdg, I actually think the 6 hour PTA meeting sounds worse! Tell me you didn't have to do that! Thank you - I'll be relieved to be Finally finally.

Double D's Daughter said...

OMG, I was laughing my ass off at Greasy trying to interrogate you about Doc. I am so glad this is almost over and can't wait til you are "Finally" !

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I hope this works out for you!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on being days away from Finally Free! I'm so glad that, despite the time and effort, you remained cool under pressure and showed all those involved just what was really going on. Glad you're through it, and I'll be sure to cross all possible body parts for you!

AislingCat said...

I'll miss your stories, but congrats! I hope your freedom is everything you've hoped.

Finally Free said...

DDD, can you imagine?? Him thinkinghe'd busted me having a wild fling with a man who's had a BF for years! LMAO!

Alexa, thank you so much. :)

Sarah, thank you for crossing your body parts along with me, LOL!

A., you're sweet... don't worry, the stories aren't going to stop. I have many more from the past and I guarantee more in the future, since we still have 2 years in which we have to be involved. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I have cried and laughed with you through this process! And I've just about run out of my Women's Liberty, Female Toner and Tension Tamer teas. I drink a stiff combination after reading your blogs (I'm over 40 and too many martinis will go straight to belly fat!. So hooray for you - Almost Finally! You're awesome. I think you are now fully qualified to charge high hourly rates for pre-marital counseling. I suspect you'd come straight to the point and sum it all up in one word: "Don't!"

Finally Free said...

anon, thank you! Plastic Surgeon always says, "Honey, drink straight vodka. It doesn't puff you up like that sugary sh*t!" And as for your last comment? If I ever did premarital counseling, wedding bells would probably sound a death knell, LOL!