Monday, October 15, 2007

Court is not in session. Today, anyway.

Not surprisingly, I haven't heard a (spoken) word from Ex since he claimed that he would call soon. Conversely, though, I was surprised when I received two phone calls from Lawyer yesterday. I ignored the first one because my stomach cramped the way it always does when I see his number on caller ID or get Salmonella.

I'm probably the world's most accomplished procrastinator, so I also ignored the second phone call, brilliantly thinking that I would just pick up the voicemails and deal with him in the morning. I knew that I had a court date at some point in October, but I thought it was late in the month, so imagine my sheer delight as I listened to his messages at 10 PM to learn that the court date was today!

Ex sent me a random text last week about something banal and hadn't mentioned that he'd see me in court this week, so I had a sneaking suspicion that he either wasn't aware of the appearance or just didn't care and wasn't going to show. Ex has wriggled out of 3 important hearings in the past, all of which resulted in serious distress on my part and a tearful exit from the courthouse on one occasion. Making headway in a divorce when one party refuses to show up to a hearing is about as successful as a monkey trying to f*ck a football, so I did a little online digging to see if I could save myself some time, money, and wrinkles.

I still have access to his highway toll pass account, so I logged in to see where he'd been. I know I sound like a stalker, but I honestly haven't done that in months and months. The last time I did was to try and find out who was giving him all of the information he had on me, but I creeped myself out a bit anyway as I logged into his account. What I saw was that his last toll was heading into City Airport early yesterday morning and no further activity.

So I did more hacking digging. I still have his login information to his favorite airline and logged in there to find that he had flown halfway across the country and is not returning until 11 PM tonight. Unless he planned to break the time-space continuum, he wasn't going to appear in court, meaning Lawyer and I would drag our asses all the way out to the suburbs once again for no reason. In my twisted logic, that means it's costing me a year's worth of facial peels in order to make absolutely no progress.

I shot Lawyer a text at about 1 am, briefly explaining the situation and telling him that under no circumstances should he reveal that I know Ex is out of town. After all, if Ex changes those passwords, I'll lose my opportunity to creep myself out in the future. A back and forth exchange occurred all morning between me, Lawyer, and Ex's Greasy Attorney, who, by the way, likes to wear white tube socks with black rubber shoes and a charcoal suit to court. I know I've mentioned that before, but that just tickles me.

Anyway, long story short, I didn't have to go to court, thank the good Lord. Unfortunately, Lawyer did end up revealing that we knew Ex was traveling as well as his destination and that probably means that soon I won't be able to track his travel anymore. Which is probably good, because I'm beginning to feel more like that macadamia that just got arrested for stalking Uma Thurman than a modern-day Agatha Christie.

Our trial date is set for early December, although Lawyer promises me that it will get bumped up at least twice because there are no children involved, and those cases take precedence. The earliest I'll probably be in court again is January, but I'm sure I'll see Ex for another settlement conference before that. Uh oh, those bees I accidentally swallowed just began their tango in my stomach again.....

6 comments:

twobuyfour said...

Good lord. I remember those days of trying to get the ducks in line and get the damn divorce finalized. Nothing happens quickly. I was sure we wouldn't even need attorneys! We were rational, intelligent adults!

No such luck.

I know it's no consolation, but I still get butterflies in my stomach every time I hear the phone ring and it's her or the lawyer. I always imagine the worst possible scenario.

I wish you the best of luck.

Finally Free said...

Thanks, twobuyfour... it actually does help to know others who have gone through the same thing and come out on the other side of this mess alive. And then had the balls to tie the knot again, LOL! ;)

Lemon Gloria said...

Wow - if I had access to that info, I think it'd take an enormous amount of self-restraint not to check on him regularly. So our naked backflips down the street will be in snowy January?

Sarah said...

Yeah, naked backflips should commence sooner than later?

Also, hate to bug, but did you get my last email??

Double D's Daughter said...

Hummmmm, for someone that claims to have funds depeleting and legal problems.....he sure is free to roam (and spend money) like a free man....kinda makes you wonder. Beautiful thing is he may not figure out that you have access to anything just that one of his trusted confidants perhaps isn't so trust worthy....I love the mind f*ck aspect - you know he will scratch his head (or balls) trying to figure out where the leak is:)

Finally Free said...

Lis, it doesn't take self restraint, just total apathy. ;)

SD, I did get it and check your email later today. For both SD and Lisa, it's probably wishful thinking, but I am hoping for naked backflips before the New Year.

Triple D, (hee hee!) it IS kind of suspicious that he is crying poor, but can fly FIRST CLASS on a ticket that he booked the day before the trip?! And you're right - Lawyer said the same thing. He probably will just think that Anastasia's husband told her and he told me.... believe me, you'll be the first to find out if any fallout happens.