Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Every time the phone rings, I jump.

After our surprisingly rational phone conversation last week, I was hesitant to believe that any logical behavior could possibly come out of an inherently illogical person. I hadn't heard from Ex since, so I thought I was correct in believing that he had probably regressed into his old patterns and might be lurking somewhere in the city with a Hubble-sized telescope trained on my every move.

I was wrong, though. Sort of. It turns out that Ex sent me 2 texts on Monday, which I didn't receive until today thanks to the fact that my Motorola Q is a piece of crap. No offense to crap, by the way. That phone is like the AMC Pacers of smartphones. (If you don't know what an AMC Pacer was, it was the kind of car that you had to stick your feet through the floor to make it move. Or if you were lucky enough to get one of the good ones, there were a few hamsters on wheels under the hood to give you an extra push.)

But back to the point, Ex sent me two generally cordial text messages and I can't figure out if he's genuinely trying to come to a resolution, manipulate me into giving him stuff, or a mix of both. I'll have to go with the latter on this one. At the end of the second text, he said something very nice about my father, whom he knows I adore, so that's what tips the scales in the direction of one of his heartstring-tugging machinations that he hopes will make me forgive or forget his lunacy.

Reading that one line about my Dad made me think of the last Christmas Eve we'd spent together as a married couple. I had really learned to cook at that point, so I'd made dinner for his family and mine, who had flown in the day before. I'd had enough experience with his family by that time to know that I had to make the call to his mother myself and ever so sweetly suggest that she need not bring an entire fish, head and all, to our home because I had taken care of everything.

Things began to get stressful when the outlaws (oops, typo. I meant inlaws.) were a half hour late and the phone rang. I heard Ex begin to get upset, and when he returned to the kitchen, I asked him what was wrong.

"Almost, my parents just had a car accident. They don't know if they can make it. The car is destroyed and they might go to the hospital."

I was genuinely concerned despite my dislike of them, but another half hour passed and they showed up at the front door. My family crowded around them as if Joseph and Mary themselves had arrived, asking if they were ok. As soon as I assessed that there were no broken bones, bloody stumps, or evidence of traumatic brain injury (aside from their normal nutjob behavior), I seated them, brought them drinks, and then clandestinely crept outside to look at their car.

I'm not even kidding when I tell you that there was a 2 inch scratch on the rear quarter panel. That was it. I actually doubled over in the driveway and as soon as I stopped the tears of laughter flowing down my cheeks, quietly stole back into the house.

I figured that Ex's mother was pretty pissed that she wasn't the star of the show since she wasn't cooking or hosting, so she had to pull some kind of stunt to get attention. I was sure they didn't plan this "massive accident," but I also knew that telling Ex that the car was destroyed and that they had to go to the hospital was a blatant plea for the spotlight.

Dinner progressed and, thanks to the bottle of Dom I'd already ingested, was not unbearable. Until I looked over at the sink as I was cleaning the kitchen. And saw globs of an unknown, but ungodly, substance flowing like lava from the cabinet beneath the garbage disposal. I quickly called Ex over, we opened the cabinet doors to a virtual detonation of goo, and the utter and total chaos that ensued was beyond hysteria.

My mother outlaw (damn, there goes my typing again.) was shrieking, "You shouldn't have put celery down the garbage disposal! Don't you know anything?" while Ex and my Dad attempted to stanch the flow of the putrid fluid quickly filling the kitchen floor. At one point, Ex pulled me aside and growled at me, "This is all your fault. Thanks a lot for ruining Christmas."

Long story short, Ex and my Dad went to work fixing the problem. After over an hour of toiling beneath the sink, they actually did a pretty good job in preventing any further explosions until we could get a plumber to ensure that the garbage disposal would no longer blow our house into the stratosphere.

So while Ex was clapping my Dad on the back and they were laughing about what a good job two executives were doing at something about which they should know nothing, Ex was periodically pulling me aside and cussing me out or generally blaming me for everything from the garbage disposal to global warming. At one point, he dragged me into the garage and made me cry when he said so many "F*ck you!!"s that I lost count at 12. All the while, building his camaraderie with my Dad.

Hence, my suspicions of manipulation here. I don't think that Ex is a necessarily a bad person, but I think he's probably a sick person. His parents, with their accident and desire for undeserved sympathy, are true masters in the art of manipulation. (One night, his parents were having a screaming match. They called Ex on their speakerphone in the middle of it and he, in turn, put our phone on speaker so I could hear them. For 45 minutes, they called each other unspeakable names and demanded that Ex take a side. For that, I have true sympathy for the manipulation to which Ex has been exposed over the years.) Maybe it's some chromosomal abnormality or maybe it's learned, but Ex inherited their expertise. I think on that Christmas Eve, he knew I wouldn't say anything to my Dad about the way he'd treated me because truth be told, my Dad had a great time fixing the plumbing and had a great time with Ex. They were BFFs by the end of the debacle. The only person who seemed to be miserable was me. Well, and my mom, who saw that I was in some sort of distress and helped me tremendously by entertaining Ex's mother, keeping her away from me, but subjecting herself to the verbal diarrhea inevitably spewing from that woman's piehole.

I suppose time will reveal his motives. When I responded to his texts today, he said that he'd call soon so that we could continue to work towards a resolution. But I'm not sure if I'll be facing someone rational or just another explosion of goo with a few "F*ck you"s thrown in for good measure.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the second one occurs, make goo-balls and lob them back, hopefully at his head. At the very least, it'll be amusing.

twobuyfour said...

You are an absolutely delightful writer. Please don't ever stop.

I suppose there are millions of stories about how awful an ex-spouse was, so I won't bother you with mine. Nor will I uncork the bottle holding the adjectives I save for my former mother inlaw. I will say that it appears my former spouse shares a trait with yours. I don't think she's a bad person, but raised by horribly manipulative people, inheriting the trait.

As a man, I'd like to apologize for one of mine being so cruel and treating you so maliciously. I hope you are not one of those bitter women who think we're all like that. There are lots of decent, good men out there who would be ashamed to entertain the idea of acting the way your ex did.

I'll return for more later.

Finally Free said...

Sarah... goo-balls!!! LOL, I mean, actually out loud! You don't even know where the term "goo-balls" made my potty brain go... ;)

twobuyfour, thank you so much! To be honest, I'd love to hear your story, so if you'd like to share one here, email me. And no apologies necessary... as I'm sure you know, women can be equally brutal. No bitterness here, just a promise to self for better decision making next time.

Lemon Gloria said...

Ugh. His parents are horrible, damaged, damaging people. Thank god you're far removed from them. And he's scarred for life. I still don't trust him...

Finally Free said...

Lis, I don't trust him either.... like I said, time will tell, I suppose. I'm still waiting for that phone to ring with the dreaded caller ID....

Sarah said...

what is so bad about celery?? I don't get it.

Finally Free said...

Sarah L., according to the outlaw, it has something to do with the stringy nature of the celery. Don't ask me, ask the nutjob...

Lemon Gloria said...

Oh, the celery fiber gets all wrapped up in the disposal and clogs it, or winds itself around the motor or something. He is batshit crazy but that celery fiber thing is true. But no reason to scream at someone. You can also break them by trying to dispose of the rind of an entire watermelon. In fact, there are many ways to break a garbage disposal. Not that I know firsthand...

twobuyfour said...

I knew that about celery, but I was hesitant to bring it up unless someone else explained it first. I was afraid it would turn in to one of those "Men Are Insane Regarding Disposals And Celery" things. Mind you, I'm not defending this pinhead's behavior. Just pointing out that yes, celery will kill your disposal. So will any other stringy, fibrous matter including most fruit and vegetable peels and rinds.

That being said, you really can put almost anything in your hole if you do it carefully, slowly, and it's well lubricated with running water.

Finally Free said...

Lis, I'm sorry you found out the hard way, as did I, LOL! Now I know. What are more ways to break a disposal? Since I'm now entirely responsible for my own, I need to know... but I will NEVER put rinds or peels down the disposal again, not to mention celery. Damn strings.

2x4, (hope you don't mind me shortening your name) I almost choked laughing with that last paragraph! You are too much!!! No wonder Slim loves you so much!

Thank you for enlightening me on the disposal thing. I seriously didn't know. One question, coffee grounds. I've heard they're bad, but haven't had a problem so far.... what's the story?

twobuyfour said...

All things in moderation. A few grounds won't hurt anything, but don't empty the coffee filter in the sink. And toss a lemon or orang down there once in a while to freshen up the smell.

P.S. Don't even think of cutting up a whole former spouse and putting them down the disposal one part at a time. Fingers are fine, but you'll never get a femur down there, and the cops know how to trace minor organic parts from your plumbing to your sink.

Anonymous said...

time to post something new honey

Finally Free said...

twobuyfour, thanks for the plumbing expertise. And the forensic advice, LOL!

Anon, just did!

Tucson or Bust said...

Sometimes I'm greatly relieved that a New York City ordinance forbids garbage disposals. It'd be just another thing that'll break down twice a year, that you need to call the super to come repair, and tip him twenty bucks when he does.

Finally Free said...

tucson or bust, I'm with you on that one. I'm very careful about what I put down the disposal in my new place. I'm pretty sure I don't have the plumbing gene.