Monday, October 1, 2007

What?! Has hell frozen over and I just wasn't aware?

One hour ago.

Text from Ex: "been thnkg.i'm at a loss for words n i think the courts r going to have 2 figure this out...its sad n w/the timeframe Lawyer said, i cant promise i can hold off the IRS."

(Background: Ex is apparently in deep shite with the government. We know those sluts mean business, too.)

Second text: "i really wish we could of figured this out ourselves..now we will have 2 pay others 2 figure this out...wasted money that i don't have..this stinks."

My reply: "It does. Do you want to try and work it out by ourselves?"

Ex: "i think, if we do, in the end we will end up w/more...hate 2 give it to attorneys n accountants..etc.i am willing 2 do it but i think only we will loose...."

Me: "More what? I don't understand." (Blond moment extraordinaire.)

Ex: "the more money i have 2 spend on other people..attrnys etc..will be less money for us."

Me: "Can we talk this out like 2 rational people? And can we talk on the phone? This texting is making me nuts."

The phone rang 2 minutes later, after which transpired a shockingly logical conversation. I truly thought I had morphed into "We're not in Kansas anymore" Dorothy and that a posse of little orange people were going to surround me and begin singing, "Follow the Yellow Brick Road." I literally went out on my terrace to see if there was a tornado slinging a tree my way to hit me in the head and send me into dreamland.

This conversation was probably an outcropping of our settlement conference on Friday, which was fiercely heated at times. ("Ex, are you f*cking kidding me that you want my motorcycle that I owned free and clear two years before we even met?! Did a squirrel just crawl into your brain and take over your thought process?") However, after an hour and a half of back-and-forth negotiations with no resolution, Lawyer and I left. I was feeling lower than Britney when she can't find her bottle of Grey Goose.

Lawyer, on the other hand, encouraged me by telling me that it was a beginning and that it's possible this could settle out of court. He urged me to attempt to begin a dialog with Ex in order to save some money for both sides. Hence, my conversation this evening.

Considering that Ex has acted somewhat irrationally (oh, and that's a euphamism, just in case you missed it), I'm not too hopeful. However, it seems as if we will be speaking, if not actually meeting in person, later in the week.

If a mutually agreeable solution is reached, I'm pretty sure that seven horsemen will descend from the skies on winged creatures, signaling that the Apocalypse has finally arrived. I'm not all that cynical, but we are talking about the guy who bugged our house, hacked into my email, put a P.I. on me in our first year of marriage, installed a GPS unit on my car, and hired some thug to break a (platonic) male friend of mine's legs. As I write this, my hope for a rational settlement is waning faster than O.J.'s popularity.

And the leg breaking incident? Perhaps I'll write that one for you tomorrow. Now where's my wine? I'm going to need a buzz to get through that post.

Oh, and P.S. to the dude who found my blog by Googling "Grandpa Gets a Woody"? Ewww!

9 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

This sounds positive! I don't exactly trust this offer of cooperation, because it just soudns too, well, reasonable. But if it's true, I'll be sooo happy! And the leg-breaking thing? On top of all the other stuff? Your ex is a scary crazypants.

Sarah said...

Wow. Such rationality out of such a crazy person. It must be the apocolypse.

P.S. Britney will be able to look for that Grey Goose two handed now, since she's free of her munchkins.

Finally Free said...

I'm a bit suspicious myself, Lis... time will tell. And wait until you hear the leg-breaking incident. You just might fall off of your chair.

Sarah, can you see the winged horsemen yet? Hee hee, your PS made me giggle!

Anonymous said...

Careful! And hey, if hell freezes over, the apocalypse won't be nearly so bad!

Finally Free said...

Sarah, LOL! So true... then there would be no place for us bad girls to go.... >:)

Double D's Daughter said...

Hummmm, Be very leary here hun. I know you didn't ask for it but I am going to give you some advice. Make a list of what you want include crazy detailed stuff that you actually don't. Make the stuff you don't really want the bigger ticket items so that you get to walk away with what you do want and he feels like he managed to keep something that you really wanted. And in the event Hell has frozen over....I haven't ice skated in a while, could be fun

Finally Free said...

Doube D's Daughter, I always want advice from you, solicited or not. Yours is always the best. You're right about everything, and I will keep all of it in mind.

Now I need to go in search of my ice skates. I need the double-bladed ones... (kidding! or maybe not...)

I get the crappy jobs said...

Best of luck to you. It's hard to believe that people seem normal and you fall in love, next thing you know-they are complete wackos! You have a great sense of humor, write very well and seem to have many friends who care. I enjoy reading your blog and know you'll be just fine.

Finally Free said...

i get the crappy jobs, I love your name!! Hilarious! Thanks for the comment... it is SO weird to marry someone "normal," and wind up with a nutjob. But friends, good wishes, and laughter make it all good. :) Thank you.